View Single Post
Old 08 August 2017, 12:58   #10
Old_Bob
BiO-sanitation Battalion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Sooo to sum it up: the status on your Bombjack clone is

running on A500 with correct framerate but
not able to figure out how enemies move. Right?
Yep. I haven't intergrated the enemies in to the engine yet, but test programs reveal that 50fps should be easily attainable with everything going. The A500 blitter can cope with pretty much twice the amount of stuff that the coin-op has going at its busiest periods. Even using ZX Spectrum style, CPU based sprite routines would, I think, be fast enough.

Exactly why Elite's version runs like a lethargic snail, is a complete mystery to me. Except to point out that the ST version seems more or less identical, albeit quite a bit faster. I propose that we may simply put this down to the usual reason when it comes to this sort of thing...

I've uploaded my current WIP to The Zone.

Quote:
would reverse engineering the original Z80 game help?
Sure, that would be a huge help.

Quote:
SDL is a system where you're drawing the whole screen, then it's refreshed. On a PC it's not an issue, but it's too much effort for an amiga. Most emulators are built by refreshing the whole screen, which is too slow for our beloved machine (I had written an emulator a long time ago, and it had to use "dirty" zones to only refresh what had changed, a bit of a nightmare...)
This sounds incredibly wasteful. If you've got 4000mhz worth of CPU to throw at it, I guess it's no big deal, but a selective screen refresh and double buffer approach would be far more efficient. And, I guess, easily within the Amiga blitter's abilities.

Quote:
I wonder if it would be possible to reuse the existing C++ code, but use custom blitter code for displaying gfx & playing audio, so it would run on maybe not A500 but A1200.

For Bagman (note: exists on the miggy as "Bagitman" but with inferior C64-like graphics), that would mean not blitting the background everytime (using sprites for characters would be doable since they're small) and using the blitter only for objects.
As far as anything C, or C++ goes, i'm not the person to ask, sorry. But I guess it sounds reasonable? Anybody else with more knowledge than me care to comment?

B

Last edited by Old_Bob; 08 August 2017 at 16:36.

Page generated in 0.04352 seconds with 11 queries