View Single Post
Old 12 February 2018, 22:55   #68
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
we are talking about 10 - 15 % increase
Indeed, as I've said several times, that's on top of an already very expensive product, pricing it out of reach of many potential users.

Quote:
Oh, please!
that was probably the first thing I mentioned here: give it FastRAM
(1 Chip, 1 Fast soldered on, SIMM-sockets to upgrade both easily)
From your post:
Quote:
just add some cheap (50 cent) SIMM-sockes and start with 1 MB Chip and 1 MB Fast (both upgradable with SIMMs)
Note no mention of soldering at all. Anyway, as I pointed out, only having 1MB of chip RAM would further hobble game development.

Quote:
there is no "additional"!
So '030 chips cost the same as '020 chips? That's not what you said before...

Quote:
we just saw the GVP ad here. A much smaller company had obviously no problem in offering a whole range of cpu-boards at a reasonable price, while C= essentially had only 4 products left in 92, with the unchanged C64 being one of them.
And yet people weren't upgrading their CPUs...

Quote:
still not clear what percentage did or did not.
Given a easy and cheap possibility for more RAM, surly more would take that route...
True, but given the number of second hand A1200s on the market without any form of expansion, it has to be a low percentage that were upgraded. Otherwise, why the rather large appetite for brand new accelerators - even modest ones like the ACA1221?

Quote:
AFAIK there are some boards with designated space for clock-chip and battery, so it seems it was already planed to have it on board.
(yes, that makes it even more expensive, by ... $5?)
Yep, all A1200s have the space on the board. See how much Commodore were trying to save money? Making $5 of parts a separate product, cutting one floppy disk from the Workbench set... These are the margins you're talking about, and it was *still* an expensive machine despite all these cost savings. Making the machine 10-15% more expensive is the opposite to what was happening there.

Page generated in 0.09639 seconds with 11 queries