View Single Post
Old 22 February 2010, 22:39   #76
Dan Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
You actually think only schmups benefit from having a 68000 processor?? Not sure how that works.
I only said that it's only a marginal advantage with other games. On the SNES, 9 out of 10 shoot-em-ups have horrible slowdown due to the slow-as-molasses 65C816 CPU - but you don't see that kind of thing anywhere else. Unless you're trying to move loads and loads of bullets and enemies around, CPU speed really doesn't come into play very much.

Quote:
Yes it makes a difference but you missed the part where i said it does not make a "tremendous difference" at least not enough to make the Snes a more popular choice (here in the UK).
When was this ever a popularity contest? It does make "a tremendous difference" - you will never see graphics like this or this on the Genesis. And we haven't even gotten into things like transparency and sprite rotation/scaling, to say nothing of Mode 7 - things like that put it on a new level entirely.

Quote:
I think you will find the Neo Geo IS a 16-bit system...
Ah, you're right. I could have sworn that I read about it being 32-bit somewhere.

Quote:
but you are right as the Snes and Megadrive cannot touch the Neo Geo (which also uses a 68000 processor and Yamaha audio chip similar to that of the Megadrive).
Similarly, the Genesis can't touch the SNES.

Quote:
I still think the Megadrive produces better music (drum patterns, hi-hats, synths etc...)
That's the composers' talent, not an inherent ability of the system. And check out Nobuo Uematsu's score for Final Fantasy 6 for something that shows off the SNES's hardware while being awesome as music at the same time. [ Show youtube player ]

Now, ask yourself - could the Genesis ever produce anything close to that in terms of quality?

Quote:
and the Snes produces better digitised samples (speech and sound fx). Also i never said the Megadrive had better graphics than the Snes so why keep bringing it up?
I never said that you said that. What you did say was that the SNES's graphics were only marginally better. Which is completely untrue.

Quote:
I own the hardware too and have done since the day it all got released. I just find the Megadrive more fun to play overall unless it comes to RPG's.. then the Snes wins hands down.
Well, we can agree there. At least on the first half - I can't stand RPGs.

Page generated in 0.13222 seconds with 11 queries