View Single Post
Old 08 April 2009, 12:13   #20
Predabot

@John: Those are some kick-ass scores! Those painkillers don't seem to be throwing your game off no nuthin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
You still play with the keyboard? You cannot complete hardcore shmups from the 80s/early 90s without a good stick or pad.
I'm slowly beginning to suspect you're right, Retro. Things like Street Fighter 2 Turbo are also a pain to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodaysForgotten View Post
I wouldn't say this is what gives the genre a bad name. It's always been a niche genre, but ironically if you look on any torrent site its always the bullet hell games or tougher shooters that are getting huge snatches. Which, to me, is ironic but at the same time great.

This game is like rtype, if you die, you'll lose all your powerups and pretty much have to work things out with your pea-shooter.

The powerups you do get become very powerful. The one thing i never really liked about raiden was the big hit box on the ships. This game suffers from what R3 suffered from and that is a slow ship. I don't mind. It makes things a bit tougher and interesting, but i can feel the frustration there.

Don't try Raiden 4 (def not mushihime-sama)its a bit worse than this. R4 actually hovers on end of twitch and the beginning of bullet hell/curtain. Raiden is still more of a twitch game.

I also agree you'd really want to get a pad at minimum to do well. Hang in there man. Remember the reward in these games is getting past that part or beating your score. Don't let the difficultly take away from the experience.

The Aleste series is what shmups done for fun is all about. Its just hard enough to where you have to stay alert, but there is never really any threat throughout the game with all the extra lives you get. I agree its tons of fun, but for those who want a bit more of a challenge they go up the ladder and while raiden is a couple of notches above aleste both are fun if you let them be (:
Hmm... interesting, I never thought about how much slower the ship is, and the big hitbox. A bit odd that they would change those things from the Arcade tho, now 'innit? I mean, doesn't the PCE have a very fast processor for its time? 14 Mhz I think it is, and that's stupendously fast for an 8-bit processor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
@Predabot
Yup, it's hard and playing it without a joypad/stick is a pain in the *ss You should consider buying a pad/stick (which will also enhance you Amiga gaming experience ). It doesn't make the game easier, but surely better to play.
I'll consider it mate, I'll consider it. Sadly I'm unemployed right now, so it'll have to wait for a while. Any particular brand you'd suggest? Nowadays I know a lot of console-pads can be used with the comp, with adapters of various kinds, so that seems pretty darn cool.

Page generated in 0.04556 seconds with 11 queries