View Single Post
Old 18 March 2018, 02:48   #4
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
Not exactly sure what you mean...
Paula has 4 channels - two for left and two for right.
Octamed mixes two software-channels into one hardware channel - makes 8 in total.

So do you mean by "stereo" that a sound should appear not entirely on the left or the right? Yes than you would have to sacrifice two channels - one on the left and one on the right.
If your sample is already stereo, it would consist of two two mono samples, and you can play both simultaneously, without adjusting volume.

You could also take a mono sample and play it on two channels simultaneously - than it would appear in the center - adjusting the volume would move it around.

I am not aware, that the Mac did overtake anything while Commodore was still alive. First the hardest competitor was the Atari ST, that was admittedly far more popular among musicians than the Amiga.
Later sound cards for the PC offered high quality 16Bit sound...

The first Mac with real audio qualities would probably be the Quadra 660AV or 840AV from 1993 with on-board 16-bit 48 kHz stereo audio playback and recording capability and DSP (but not all Macs from that time had a DSP).
I read that early musicians used the Atari because of the MIDI, I just didn't really understand how that made a big difference. I can understand them using the Falcon for the DSP, I was mainly wondering what the techno/gabba DJ's were using.

Thanks for the replies, I will download OctaMED and the tutorials from amr.abime.net and download some ST sample packs from Aminet and have a bit of a play.

But if some one has a drum and bass or gabba sample pack and want to upload it that would be much appreciated

Page generated in 0.06100 seconds with 11 queries