View Single Post
Old 26 March 2017, 16:32   #36
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat the Cat View Post
Are people in the habit of burying them? Funilly enough, some people did indeed think connecting a SCSI device to an Amiga parallel port was a good plan.

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/paradox
Is that your legendary Centronics 36-pin SCSI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat the Cat
Fascinating link Iggy. Author clearly didn't know how you can attach 16 bit and 8 bit devices to the same cable and controller (3 terminators in the chain, but number 3 just masks off the extra 8 bits of data on the 50 pin ribbon cable from the 8 bit devices beyond it. Not a hack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCSI_h...te_termination
As usual, you're speculating. Whether the author knew or did not know is not something you can discern, and what you describe is common knowledge — common knowledge which makes some of your earlier statements even more pointless.

Quote:
But hey, never can happen on an Amiga, right? You are saying there are no 16 bit SCSI controllers on the Amiga. Potentially, more than you might think.
I never said that there aren't 16-bit SCSI controllers on the Amiga. I'm just not lucky enough to own one, like the vast majority of Amiga owners who would consider using this solution.

Quote:
Try plugging in an FAS216U to an Amiga controller with a standard FAS216 based controller...
http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/SCSI/..._datasheet.pdf
If you've plugged a FAS216U into a Fastlane Z3 or Blizzard SCSI kit, do report your findings. I suppose your data bus magically widened at the same time.

Or rather, I suppose you're doing your usual thing: speculating, spreading misinformation and derailing.

Quote:
You might also get some joy with the expansions based on the NCRC94, such as the Flyer. 16 bit internally, but AFAIK Amiga implementations do not use 16 bit 50 pin SCSI cables, except as 8 bit 50 pin SCSI cables.
Exactly. Again, I suppose this has been a big problem for you in your Amiga using life?

Quote:
I would strongly urge SCSI card owners to look up their card, controller chip, and upgrade potential and make their own minds up, rather than relying on flame warriors who have used less than a dozen different Amiga SCSI controllers, and who simply "believe" that Amiga SCSI can only ever be 8 bit except with a Phase 5 product or a Warp Engine. Even a humble WD33C3 controller can sometimes do up to 10MB second synchronous transfer, but sadly most A1200 Blizzard SCSI kits are limited to SCSI one speeds. Tough.
I would strongly urge SCSI card owners to pay no respect to your speculations and go on with their lives, asking someone knowledgeable like Daedalus in case they have questions about how wide their SCSI bus is or how to set it up.

Quote:
There you go, please list all the 16-bit SCSI controllers you find there.

Page generated in 0.04549 seconds with 11 queries