View Single Post
Old 05 October 2017, 16:12   #21
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Indeed, and I still think the amount of work involved in a port of such a game is being greatly underestimated. emulation on a classic system is out of the question. While there are both PC and PS1 emulators available, no machines really have the grunt to run PS1 games at full speed. My 060 was able to run Windows 3.1 and Minesweeper with relatively little lag, but it certainly wasn't a pleasant experience, and I can't imagine it would be any better with a far more demanding OS and game.

Bear in mind as well that, while the backgrounds were static, the enemies and players were all textured 3D models, something that's a particular weakspot for the native Amiga chipset; Having the same 24-bit palette isn't enough.

For a powerful machine like a PPC classic, why not look into some of the other ports around. Things like Command & Conquer, Descent: Freespace 1 & 2, Wipeout and so on. All are ports that will make use of the hardware. People tend to do ports of games in which they have a personal interest for whatever reason, and have had their engines open sourced. If you don't have both of those conditions, you'll need to have very deep pockets to make a port happen.

Once again yet another excellent post !! Thank you Daedalus. I think you and rare j touched on some good points and this is why I set-up this thread in the first place. As many in here, we may all know our bit about Amiga but we all lack in different area's.< This is why I am interested in what others have to say about an Amiga version of Resident Evil.

You said it requires deep pockets? < Does this mean for copyright or actual coding/programming skills?

Page generated in 0.04378 seconds with 11 queries