View Single Post
Old 13 March 2010, 21:25   #85
Rocs9005

Hi

Finished making up my Scart cable today.
It seems to have trouble getting the TV to switch to Scart RGB,
as the TV switches to that mode, you get a flash of the WB (in black and white) with the TV OSD saying SCART RGB, and then the TV goes blank , and flashes it again. Does this over and over again. Not sure that it is autoselecting 4:3 either, although the TV has an aspect button where you can change that yourself. Putting it on Auto seems to leave it as 16:9 rather than 4:3

However, if you Ctrl-A-A reset the amiga for a few seconds, the TV usually stabilises, and at that point works fine. The duff cable I got from ebay didn't seem to have this problem (it had different, far worse ones instead!). Tried it with both my A1200s, same results with both. It doesnt have the HUGE image instability problems that the ebay cable had, once it settles on RGB scart, it seems perfect.

I have to admit to being slightly disappointed with the picture quality.
Running workbench in 640x256, text has a noticable "shimmer", almost reminds me of dot crawl. It looks very reasonable playing games though.

So I have 2 questions:

Any ideas on the auto select messing up? I notice the value in Alexh's post for the Scart 16 resistor are higher (220, rather than 75) and so was the duff cable I had before (177 measured).
Could it be that my TV wants a higher value in there?

Second question - Am I just too picky about the picture? Does everyone get slight shimmer through SCART connections?
I used to use a scandoubler/flickerfixer and a 17inch CRT that did 50Hz, but got fed up with the flicker of 50Hz, and started having to worry about the space it took up. That wasnt perfect (which I always blamed the external scandoubler for...) but I dont remember it having the same crawl effect.
Could my crappy soldering skills be to blame? The scart lead I chopped up was cheap, but fully wired. I did all the different grounds individually, and checked all the pins with a multimeter before daring to plug it into my Amiga, and it all seems correct...

Thanks,

Rocs9005.

Page generated in 0.04443 seconds with 11 queries