View Single Post
Old 13 June 2017, 14:01   #15
mcb

A beta refresh was released last night, which should also address the following issues:

- Font too large in title XML manifest "Show Changes" on High-DPI displays
- Bootability detection for mounted directories
- Unavailable CD/image eject option
- Non-RP9 files moved to subdirectory (should have been ignored, not moved)
- "3.5" library version number in manual (fixed in fresh installs only)

To force a check for updates go to Help/About. Or re-download the original installer, which has been updated in the meantime. It is OK to install on top of the previous version (uninstall is not required).

A few other issues (missing HD icon, subpixel instead of integer fullscreen, out of sync pause indication after F12) might be resolved with the next WinUAE update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Workbench 3.X uses workbench.library 45.127 and icon.library 45.1 but an old Workbench preferences program v44
They were probably written by different people. The enhancements by Heinz and Olaf were allowed to be used (both directly by them and via Amiga Technologies) since the early beginning of Amiga Forever, whereas the work done by or for Haage & Partner (which I think includes the Prefs update you cite) was more complex to deal with.

Between 2012 and 2016 we had specific exchanges with Amiga, Inc., to try to sort out the situation of "Classic" updates developed since 1994. Bill McEwen gets my credit and respect for helping our minutious work involving lots of small details that are needed for "defragmenting" the code developed during this time period, and for the cause of reconciliation and preservation in general. During his tenure as President/CEO of Amiga, Inc., we all spent a lot of time (and legal expenses) on this aspect, which has limited commercial interest and includes agreements that apparently were disputed at the time (you may remember some statements about "3.9"), as well as agreements with subcontractors that have in the meantime expired.

The next steps to be able to officially bring back some 3.5 and 3.9 updates would include sitting down with Haage & Partner and the developers who did this work. For myself, that could be a welcome opportunity to meet some old friends again. We have a lot of pleasant Amiga memories in common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
The "Software Director" for the Amiga Forever update handling is installed by default, but it doesn't appear as an icon in the Windows Start menu.
It actually should show up if you start typing "Software Dir..." It always was under Control Panel, not under Program Files. I will check if there is an indexing issue affecting Control Panel items in the latest Windows 10 builds. I am thinking that it might be the case, as Microsoft wants everyone to use the new Settings.

The whole approach to software updates needs constant reevaluation. Originally it seemed like a good idea to have a single component like our own Software Director to check for updates for multiple programs, as it could minimize code and actual checks, while exposing what it did under a common user interface. It also can be updated, e.g. for security and features, when the main app maybe isn't updated any more (imagine using an Amiga Forever CD from the 1990s, and it can do update checks via TLS and display them in 4K quality). But, in recent years it became more prevalent and accepted for apps to go online and check for updates directly. Occasionally somebody wonders why they got "Software Director" with Amiga Forever, and that's when I wish we followed the latter approach, or that maybe explanations like these were more immediate to understand.

What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3L4 View Post
Funny part: after addig the 444 folder I can rename it within the GUI, it will not change the name of the folder on HDD.
You are actually only renaming the shortcut, not the actual folder. The new beta calls it "Rename Shortcut", so it should be clearer?

Perhaps by renaming the user only wanted to change the name displayed inside Amiga Forever, without affecting the file system. Or perhaps you wanted to rename the actual folder. In case of doubt, we prefer not to touch the user content.

We are researching notifications of renames done from Windows File Explorer, and how that could best be propagated into Amiga Forever.

Quote:
We BADLY need an EXTRAS button on the TOP of the screen next the other icons. The reason I love RP9 is: you can add pdf + pics + docs to a game. BUT you will only able to find them and read them if you >right click game name > edit > select extras tab.
Did you notice the little menu triangles under the Documents, Web and Music buttons?

What extras are you missing, or how would you prefer to access them?

More ways to add URLs to a title, and dedicated features for accessing linked videos, are in the works.

Quote:
I only point out bad things, I love the following things:
Don't worry, that's the life of software testing and improvement cycles. All "negative" feedback is seen as positive/constructive!

Quote:
The recolored stars at rating so finally I can see my rates
Details / Configuration tabs are simple / clear good ones!
We are actually still working on this. It is not sufficiently clear at the moment what data is in the title (gray stars for default rating), and what data, like personal ratings (yellow stars), is "personal". Personal annotations will also be added, and you don't necessarily want these to be shared if you share the title for other reasons. In one of the next builds, it should be possible to backup/restore and import/export personal data.

Page generated in 0.07101 seconds with 11 queries