View Single Post
Old 06 June 2017, 17:54   #11
mcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Found a problem with the ISO image of Amiga Forever 7 when I mount it in the Windows 10 Explorer... I guess, the special characters in the "CD³² ... .rp9" filename are responsible for this issue with the Windows Explorer....
Again, very good feedback, thank you.

I suspect a bug in our branch of cdrtools, which is invoked by Build Image. What you may be seeing could be an issue in just one of the three file system that are built into the disc image: ISO 9660, ISO+Rock Ridge and ISO+Joliet. Actually ISO El Torito extensions as well, for the boot code. When you see differences between Windows and Amiga, it could be that they each access a different one, more than a Windows vs. Amiga code bug. The June 2014 build included changes to better support characters > 127. However, maybe it wasn't properly tested in all three file systems that the tool builds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJane85 View Post
if you click Edit, then Show Manifest, all is OK (XML displayed with "normal" font). But if you make a change, the same button becomes Show Changes, and it opens a window with an extra-large font. So, same window, but one has the wrong font (about double size).

Maybe, it is because I have 4K monitor?
Yes, looks like a high-DPI issue, thank you. Will be an easy fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelz View Post
Just curious though; Why not make one single application, with add-on packs? Now I have two applications that give the same functionality... I would buy the Commodore Forever application...
It certainly is a possibility. If we did not have such a strong attachment to the Amiga and to the CBM 8-bit platforms, also as expressions of our own past, and if we had started with the idea of a generic "multiplatform player", then that could have been the way to go from the beginning. If such a product existed now, I still think it should have a different identity from Amiga Forever and C64 Forever, rather than replacing them. But then, some of our partners are working on scenarios like this.

Back in 1997, there were different name considerations. When Petro Tyschtschenko heard the "Forever" one, we had an exchange where it was clear that this should be the name. Today more than ever, it represents our commitment to preserving and making accessible this beautiful platform. We can always argue about how a small company, funded entirely by its generous users and by some other software projects, could do things differently, but there is a very strong mission statement in that name, which cannot be expressed with something like "RetroPlayer".

There is also an 8-bit and an Amiga part to this.

Have you ever wondered why Amiga Forever has "Amiga Files", but C64 Forever has "CBM Files"? "CBM Forever" is even mentioned in one of the help tips, and elsewhere. And if you go to cbmforever.com, it redirects to c64forever.com. "CBM" is indeed our favorite identity for the 8-bit platform. It is a more accurate historical representation of the Commodore era, which even for me started with a PET and a VIC 20, while the C64 is something that a few friends had. To this day, one of my PET pet projects remains adding high-quality KIM-1 support. But when the project started, we were not sure if we could get certain rights outside of the C64 world, and the "C64" name stuck. Admittedly, it is also easier to convey. But nothing is forever, or is it?

For the Amiga side, keep in mind that for some people there is a 100% Commodore identity, but for others the Amiga story is also the story of that Silicon Valley startup. There was not one Deathbed Vigil, but two!

My own first impact with the Amiga in 1985 was as a Commodore system. This continued, as in my developer years everything we did was with Commodore. The only hint at a different perspective came from a few encounters with Jay Miner, who made me think about Commodore not always inviting him, if not wanting him to be around. But being fully immersed in that Commodore world - a pre-web world - I could not understand that well enough at the time. But this now adds to the reasons for celebrating the Amiga story using its own name.

Amiga Forever!

Mike

Last edited by mcb; 06 June 2017 at 18:12.

Page generated in 0.09949 seconds with 11 queries