View Single Post
Old 20 November 2011, 13:30   #8
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wright View Post
wear the "Hubbard of the Amiga" crown.
But Hubbard made music on the Amiga! (For the game Indianapolis 500...)
Quote:
This guy really lacks recognition and respect for all of his amazing chip/synth work
Actually that guy is among the most respected musicians on Amiga, I dunno where you get this
Quote:
we were all applauding re-hashed bog standard ST-01 Soundtracker drivel.
A lot of it was not, especially the early Protracker stuff. Musicians did reuse sounds at the start of Soundtracker mainly because most of them didn't have a sampler or a synth to sample from, at the time and it took years to get all the ST-xx disk we got.

I must hold up late Soundtracker/early Protracker as far above the rest of the music heard on computers, including the Amiga. I think there were lots of tracker musicians that took full advantage of all the samples and made exciting music that were compositions that had distinction and tried to be awesome.

vd Valk is awesome in another way, sort of. Some of his music is immersive but they're samey and always work as background music.

That's part of his genius, and his songs were always well made, so.

Quote:
churning out virtually classical works compared to his contemporaries.
In the game scene, I would agree, even though - see above. With a few rare exceptions, every game had crappy music, except the ones who used music made by a demoscene musician.

I don't agree that he's unsung (least of all by me!), and I don't agree he 'scored a PD game' but the odds rest heavily in favor of the PD game author using the music without paying for it.

But I do agree he's great.

Is there a complete list of his works?

Here are the ones who are known to Modland: plink

Page generated in 0.09162 seconds with 11 queries