View Single Post
Old 23 August 2014, 00:35   #15
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesko View Post
I think this post answers my question. The joy of retro game collecting is to get the in their original form. I just checked WHDLoad for installing some of the games I'm interested in (adventures like King's Quest, Space Quest) and it requires "installed A500 Kickstart 1.3 image" so it looks like emulation to me.
It is not emulation. It is a software equivalent of installing a kickstart switcher with KS1.3. A WHDload version is a cracked version of the original modified to run from HDD with fixes to make it work with 020+, AGA etc.

But go ahead and run games the original way. I've seen lots of people starting out this way and then eventually figuring out that Amiga floppy disks are now very unreliable and having everything installed on HDD is much more convenient without ruining the experience of using the real HW.
Getting a 500 with +512kB RAM is much cheaper though than a 1200 with accelerator, but you'll need to think about how you will transfer software to it. The PCMCIA port in the 600/1200 is very convenient for that.
Edit: A floppy emulator could be a solution if you just want a 500, look for Gotek and HxC. Yes, that is emulation, but only for the floppy drive.

Page generated in 0.07436 seconds with 11 queries