View Single Post
Old 13 April 2018, 20:48   #47
Juz400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
Thats how meanings differ. Personally, I like what we called the RGB colors ($f00,$0f0,$00f) and the scrolltexts. Sure, from from a technically point of view many demos/intros which came later where better.

But this were the time when the guys were exploring the machine in assembler. I am pretty sure many of them did not have a copy of the hardware reference manual and only a copy of Kuma Seka assembler from some tool collection. I personally like this era very much. Years later the question for the coders was not HOW to operate the line mode of the blitter but how FAST you could achieve it.
I often smile when I watch some intros from '87/'88 when they just used a looped audio sample. Or when you see that the font used is topaz. Or color cycling intros (only one static picture), remember the Headbanger Intro? Once I saw an intro which was basicly a graphics.lib screen and then banging the hardware over it. Its that technically imperfection which I like, because they didn't knew better.
I bet there were many 6th 7th generation photocopies of the hardware manuals going with those copies of Seka

Quite a few people would have graduated from the C64 too,
A whole new more powerful CPU to learn, all those extra registers and 256/512K of directly addressable memory and to cherry on the top all the custom chip goodness!
All sorts of dodgy programing practices in those early days! I remember buying a Kickstart 1.2 ROM just to see what the demos on some Kent Team demo disks I had were like as they crashed instantly after decrunching on a 1.3.
Jumps into the ROM me thinks some worked ok but others were "D`OH! ECS Agnus strikes again"
What was the reason all the display went all weird and slanted?

Page generated in 0.04168 seconds with 11 queries