View Single Post
Old 05 May 2020, 20:00   #7
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Thanks to thevoice for helping checkout out the problem via email!

It does indeed look like this problem is something like this:

- If people upgrade to FS-UAE 3.0.5 *before* updating to Ubuntu 20.04, then when updating to Ubuntu 20.04 python3-lhafile is removed due to being incompatible (python 3.6 vs 3.8 - python3-lhafile contains a C extension)

- If people upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04 first, then PPAs are disabled (and python3-lhafile is removed). So to upgrade to 3.0.5 you need to enable the PPA again for "focal", and then when you update fs-uae/launcher, you get the updated python3-lhafile package (maybe!).

Part of the problem here is probably that python3-lhafile is just a recommended dependency. Perhaps I should make it a hard dependency (if I did that, the launcher would probably be removed by Ubuntu when updating to 20.04, but at least people could install it again and wouldn't have issues at least).

(Side note: This all would work much better of Ubuntu migrated the Ubuntu PPA repository to point to the new Ubuntu version (if available) instead of disabling the PPA...)

EDIT: I have released a 3.0.5u1 update for Ubuntu with a hard dependency of python3-lhafile. This can cause fs-uae-launcher to be (temporarily) uninstalled on future Ubuntu upgrades unless Canonical starts supporting "upgrading" ppa repositories automatically, but at least parts of the launcher won't suddenly stop working.

Page generated in 0.04326 seconds with 11 queries