View Single Post
Old 24 November 2018, 07:51   #67
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
It seems that it has huge impact to Performance if it is full screen or windowed?
Perhaps. However on my PC the loading times were unpredictable, varying from as little as 12 seconds up to 66 seconds for the same page (including up to 11 seconds of initial loading time not shown in the status bar). I tried it in full screen mode and it was faster, but then screwed up the desktop when it closed so I won't be doing that again! It also rendered rather slowly (like SuperVGA on a 386SX!).

Since I now have 32MB of FastRAM in my accelerated A1200 (Blizzard 1230-IV with 50MHz 68030 & 68882) I decided to try Netsurf AGA on it. Loading https://forum.amiga.org/ took 543 seconds according to the status bar (in reality about 10 seconds longer), but that wasn't the only thing that was slow. The (software rendered) mouse pointer was very slow and jerky, and scrolling took around 1.5 seconds per click. Total RAM usage was 22.8MB. This included 334kB of chipRAM, which is expected for a 640x512x8 screen. But when I went to https://github.com/ it ate up another 1MB of ChipRAM!

For comparison I also timed loading the same amiga.org page in IBrowse. Total RAM usage was only 4.0MB. It took 140 seconds to load all images, but the page was fully interactive after only 20 seconds. Scrolling was also much faster than Netsurf, and with IBrowse configured to load images into FastRAM its ChipRAM usage is minimal.

So the good news is Netsurf does TLS1.x and correctly displays web pages with CSS. However it uses too much RAM on the Amiga and is unacceptably slow, even on a 2.8GHz PC.

IBrowse 2.5 should do TLS1.x, and I'm betting it won't use much more RAM than 2.4. Unfortunately it won't do CSS (perhaps in the next version?) but it does show how much better a native application can be compared to bloatware shoveled over from another platform.

Page generated in 0.04472 seconds with 11 queries