Thread: Minix
View Single Post
Old 29 July 2015, 13:08   #3
rabindranath72

Quote:
Originally Posted by strim View Post
Woot, that's pretty much awesome. No one wrote anything Minix/Amiga related for ages .

Would you mind sharing your effort? Is the old Minix code even buildable in 2015? What toolchain do you use?

Maybe you can publish the code on GitHub? I wrote a few NetBSD/amiga drivers, I could take a look.
I'll definitely share, though it's been 20 years since I have touched an Amiga, and more than 10 since a wrote a device driver, so I guess it's a shot in the dark right now.
The idea was to use emulation to get a clean HD install of MINIX, but apparently MINIX doesn't like WinUAE
I tried with both SCSI and XT emulation; I can see SCSI hdf images from MINIX, but then MINIX filesystem creation doesn't work; then I tried XT hdf images, but I can't even get AmigaOS to format an hdf file with XT format (see the thread in WinUAE support.) If you could try getting an XT format hdf (Toni Wilen says he got it working...somehow) it would be really helpful, at least I could see if MINIX likes XT better than SCSI on WinUAE.

As a toolchain I was thinking of using cc on MINIX itself on WinUAE (just for that retro-experience ) although I also have Aztec C 5.10 on my A1200, as it supports pre-ANSI C.

What NetBSD drivers did you write? I'll definitely look at Linux, NetBSD and AROS for IDE implementations, I want to keep things as simple as possible, say ATA-1 level, so as to re-use as much of the official AT code in MINIX as possible.

Another challenge, for the future, is to allow MINIX to fully support virtual memory (I have a 68030 accelerator in my A1200) and replace process shadowing. But until I get a proper HD installation of MINIX that's not really (easily) feasible.

Last edited by rabindranath72; 29 July 2015 at 13:39.

Page generated in 0.04847 seconds with 11 queries