View Single Post
Old 15 April 2019, 02:53   #1
MartinW

Another "How do I BBS" thread

So I've read a bunch of posts where people are trying to get online to BBS's with WinUAE. I understand that all you need for networking in WinUAE is bsdscket.library enabled and I indeed have that enabled. iBrowse works fine, AmiTradeCentre works fine but I wanted to check in to a BBS or two.

Previously I have done this on my real Amiga's so I load up Term v4.8 and everything I read says that I need to use telser.device. OK, fair enough, I download it and try to install it but it seems to insist on AmiTCP or similar. But as we know, you don't need a TCP/IP stack such as AmiTCP for WinUAE so the install doesn't work. I tried just creating a dummy AmiTCP install folder with associated Assign. The install obviously works but every BBS just says "line busy".

Moving on, I found DCTelnet which appears to not be reliant on telser.device or any similar thing. I like this a lot. I have been successful with it once. I was able to connect to 'theedge' BBS but I couldn't remember my login. I connected to one or two others but very quickly I reach the point where when I connect, nothing happens, it just sits there as per the screenshot below.

Any ideas please? I didn't do BBS back in the day so I don't know if I'm meant to do something once I've connected or what. I find it odd that if I go to "Connection / Information" bytes received is always 0.

Despite the screenshot this is DCTelnet 1.6, it just says 1.5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.png
Views:	101
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	62799  

Page generated in 0.04315 seconds with 12 queries