View Single Post
Old 08 November 2015, 11:24   #129
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggybeans View Post
An ARM port would make a lot of sense.
Lots of compact hardware that is very power efficient and more than powerful enough.
Before the ISA change for MorphOS was announced, I was pushing for a shift to ARM.

After all, X64 is only dominant in desktops (with a smaller lead in laptops), it doesn't have much of a hold on tablets or other portable devices.

AND ARM is still RISC.

Except that it is the hardware that now limits software capabilities.
Even Thorham is willing to admit that improvements can be made (in the hardware).

Where we differ is that I am not that obsessed with legacy register compatibility.

A few quick questions.

Who owns Amiga OS 3.5 and 3.9?
Because 4.1 borrows from those, but the license Hyperion owns specifically only mentions 3.1.
And that license is a bit questionable as I am not sure there is proof that Amiga Inc. was ever anything more than a licensee.

So, if legacy compatible hardware, with improvements, can be produced that is a LOT more powerful, why worry about an OS4 port to 68K?
Why not just free yourselves and use AROS68K?
3.5 and 3.9 is owned by H&P and they never gave away the rights. Hyperion partly only licensed the same components from the same developers as H&P.

Regarding Aros 68k I do not know why people are not helping more. Admittedly 3.X and the other originial versions are unbeatable when running on the old slow hardware with its limited resources. There Aros 68k cannot compete (it will never really work on a unexpanded A500 as example). But it is a good option for expanded hardware and future FPGA based systems.

Page generated in 0.04322 seconds with 11 queries