View Single Post
Old 08 December 2007, 13:43   #64
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Most kind.

I'd install BB2 first (the Amithlon 3.9 comes with BB1)
then:
All the Amithlon updates in chronological order. (the date they were released - just set your WB prefs to arrange icons like this)

Um, sorry, me fibbing again You don't have to do all that. (it's just going through the docs for all the updates helps familiarise you with Amithlon's workings) What you really need is contrib3b, the latest Hyperion update and as you're running an Intel chip rather than AMD make sure the PIII patch is in your Satches directory...
...Proper accurate details can be found near the end of my guide when I come clean about leading you round the houses!
then:
Apply the patches that come with Gary's latest kernel. (you are using Gary's latest kernel?)
then:
If you need them install the OpenPCI support + any required drivers.
then:
Look for a later version of P96. (beware the installer won't be Amithlon aware, so make sure you're only updating libs & not settlings or drivers)
then:
Grab the rtg.lib from the latest stable WinUAE (helps with glitches if you're thinking of shooting for higher resolutions)
then:
Think about installing the latest AHI. (I'd suggest using the 68k archive NOT the Amithlon-native x86 version which can be a pain to get working)
then:
Back the whole lot up! (you won't want to do that again in an hurry)

Don't forget to add some updated + extra datatypes. WarpDT's are v.good but are shareware. AK-DT's are free & some come as Amithlon-native versions. (more speeeed!)
and:
Don't forget RaMithlon (speeds up memory a lot! - may as well make the fastest Amiga faster)

BB3 does not exist officially but if you Google for it you'll fine a few sites that refer to post-Hyperion patches + bug-fixes that probably won't make a huge improvement. (maybe WB a bit faster, as if you need that with Amithlon!) But, hey it's good to have all the latest stuff!
(These patches can yield useful speed increases if you are using a 'real' Amiga & are stuck with AGA)

Now comes the fun bit:
Throw every eye-candy patch you can @ it & see Amithlon lap it up.
DirOpus? Great (shame about the icon support)
PowerIcons? Great for PNG'ness (shame about the dragged images)
Scalos? (not as good as DirOpus but has proper PNG support - I never got this to work that well with Amithlon)
PowerWindowsNG? Great for all-sorts (you need to be running a patched rom for it to work - how you do that in Amithlon is another story, but among the files included with my guide is a hacked version of smallird.gz that has a patched rom)
MagicMenu? Use a nice background image & set it to semi-transparency (rude not to)
MCP? good idea.
ModePro?
E-UAE?
Lots of other worthwhile patches, Speed-up patches do make a noticeable difference: 0.5% on a real '040 will be barely perceptible but the same change with an '040 running @ 1ghz + can be seen.
Why not install a few emulators while you're at it? ShapeShifter under Amithlon is faster on the same hardware than any other 68k Mac emulator under any other OS.
You want 3D support? That can be done to via Warp3D. (see higher up this thread)

The list goes on & on...

Miami?
Yes, it's more 'advanced' than Genesis(AmiTCP) but Genesis is MUCH faster & more reliable in my experience. DCHP? You can find patches for this on Aminet if you really want but what I did was to assign a Static IP for Amithlon in Genesis even though my network is set up for DCHP. All I did was go into the Router's prefs & set it to always assign the same IP to the Amithlon's NIC - no messing, no patches, no Miami, no conflicts - worked like a charm...
...you may then want to brave the Amiga-ports of SAMBA & SMBFS but that's a whole new story.

Have fun.

PS
Your system is a perfectly good one for Amithlon...
...more speed? Get a supported socket A mobo (nForce2 most likely). Plug in a fast AthlonXP(-M) add 512mb of DDR500(+) ram, ramp up the clock rates & see it fly!

PPS
BTW: I'm not sure DPaint will work on Amithlon without much fiddling. (Lack of Chipset support) TVPaint is amazingly good, free, & loves Amithlon's power. (It was a £400.00+ package I believe)

Page generated in 0.08564 seconds with 11 queries