View Single Post
Old 14 February 2019, 21:15   #3915
Nishicorn

I recently started to 'compare' games. As I have a real Super Famicom and a real Amiga, I played Chaos Engine on both. Amiga version is, of course, superior. But Super Famicom-version was pretty nice, it was more colorful, the graphics were bigger (though the TV I use for that is bigger, hehe), etc.

I tried Sega Megadrive-version on an emulator, and it seemed to be much worse, or at least not quite up to par.

Doing this kind of comparison-playing is quite fun! I usually play a bit of Atari 8-bit and Commodore 64-games (it's fun to compare these, too, today I compared H.E.R.O. - both versions are great fun, C64 could've been a bit more colorful) while my coffee is brewing, some Wii Balance Board games (Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Party 3 is quite nice) for morning exercize, and then some Alien Breed 3D on my Amiga for inspiration for my 'Doom Total Conversion' that I am planning to make (and slowly progressing in).

I plan to soon play Star Trek 25th Anniversary on my old DOS PC with Yamaha's sound chip - that should be fun. But to take a break from everything, I usually play something simple and easy, like Wii Sports Tennis today, and Soul Calibur on my Dreamcast.

BTW, Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge musics sound incredibly 'tasty' in a way that's hard to describe, when playing the game on a DOS PC with an actual Yamaha sound chip. I was surprised as to how interesting and quirky it sounded, those musicians were geniuses.

Here's a funny example, the "Mardi Gras" section I captured from the YMF 262 chip (no emulation)

https://www.sendspace.com/file/0v45qx

It's around 14 MB mp3-file, 320kbps quality.

I captured the whole thing, it's almost 2 and a half hours of music straight! It even beats Space Quest IV, which has about 42 minutes of music.

Last edited by Nishicorn; 14 February 2019 at 21:36. Reason: Correction

Page generated in 0.04138 seconds with 11 queries