View Single Post
Old 31 August 2017, 06:30   #23
Jope
-

Quote:
You have this backwards. We are down-scaling, not up-scaling. Extra information provides substantially more accurate end timing for the decoder, otherwise we could just sample every 1us and it would be fine, which is not the case. The limit seems to be right at 10ns, with any captures faster than that offering no benefit.
No, I meant what I meant. A signal of "A" sampled 10 times in the same amount of time is "AAAAAAAAAA" in an ideal perfect world. Now if your data source is not perfect, perhaps your end result might be "AAaAAbABAA" instead. Will this bring us benefit? I will leave this to the audience to think about, your opinion is visible above. The disks we are imaging were mastered at a finite resolution. It does not provide much more than marketing benefit to increase the sampling frequency far above what was written onto the disk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
However, there are several other programs that can use the SCP hardware to read/analyze and image or copy disks of various disk formats. There are no other programs that use the Kryoflux hardware to read/analyze/write disks because the Kryoflux information is deliberately withheld from the public
I don't believe kryoflux is any more closed than your product.
https://www.kryoflux.com/download/kr...col_rev1.1.pdf

Anyone is free to implement support for uncooked streams in their product and even create an ipf file out of that data without any checking/massaging beforehand, resulting in something that is just as useful as a scp dump. The ipf format has support in many emulators.

ipf files created by the software preservation society go though a long manual analysis step to ensure that they will actually result in the same kind of disk when mastered back. Homebrew ipfs blindly created using the dtc tool's converter often work, but may not always result in an identical master disk when written back to floppies, if the disk format is tricky enough.

As for accessing the hardware without the dtc tool, I don't know whether that is open or whether it is useful to have. Perhaps it is. This is down to the end user to decide. I am certain, that if someone would run into the limitations of the stream fileformat, they are fully qualified to make the decision between these two products themselves.

The most exciting thing I've seen that was dumped from stream images was a Quantel Paintbox floppy with no sector structure. https://forum.kryoflux.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1310 limits not found yet!

I don't see the need to revise what I've written otherwise. I will leave it down to the readers to read through the postings and make an educated decision about which product is most useful for them and for which reasons.

Last edited by Jope; 31 August 2017 at 09:41.

Page generated in 0.04408 seconds with 11 queries