View Single Post
Old 05 May 2011, 16:56   #85
Skope
Protracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidarh View Post
I see you're listed as in Stockholm - if your friends were from Sweden as well, that explains it. Until '92/'93 I think (see the article on Strider linked to earlier), Sweden had notoriously liberal copyright laws with a very wide reaching "personal use" exemption that made it next to impossible to convict anyone for non-commercial trading (at least unless people were stupid and said the wrong things before hiring a lawyer). Norway had similar exemptions (not sure when they were changed), but I think it was generally interpreted more strictly by the courts.
Yeah that's true, and will help explain the massive public uproar that took place when the copyright laws were crazy hardened (atleast in our eyes) over here a few years ago. Up until then it wasn't illegal to download copyrighted stuff even, only uploading (or spreading) was against the law. And as I recall from back in the days it seemed like guys in the U.K. had it rough with the feds on their nuts all the time. Boards were being busted on the regular over there, atleast it looked like that to me.

Btw, my strongest selling point when coaxing my mum into getting me a computer in the 80's was that all my friends had one, so I could just copy games off of them for free, not having to spend money on that like the Nintendo dudes. (:

Page generated in 0.04696 seconds with 11 queries