View Single Post
Old 26 August 2007, 18:14   #9
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Thanks for the replies chaps -
'knew I couldn't be the only one to try this.
( or at least a 'boxed' verion that wouldn't need a black-belt in Linux to set up )

@Bloodwych:
Thanks for the links.
I at least spotted your first link while researching - tried to follow it, left me 'all at sea'.
It's a good example of what really annoys me about the Linux scene:
Here's someone who has gone to the trouble of trying to be helpful to noobs - Far more help than you usually get from the Linux community TBH.
But if I understood the detail that has been omitted from this guide I'd already know enough Linux to do it myself without help! *

The other links look rather hopeful:
X-Amiga - I await the downloads with interest - good to see a proper guide included. I had discounted Gentoo as it seems to build to the hardware it's installed on. But the inclusion of an installer is a neat / friendly way round that.

AmigaSYS Live - Also looks intersting ( esp as built on DSL which to me seems the best option ) I think I may have a close look @ that & see if I have enough knowledge to hack it to my purposes.
->113mb seems a bit on the large side - I suspect because based on X rather than 'just' the FB device.

Again, thanks for the replies & sorry if any 'hash' comments have got up the Linux-fans noses.

( Maybe I won't give up just yet! ) - Still think the concept as I've suggested is the best one.
But then I would say that, wouldn't I?

*On positive side the author does mention they think their guide is 'too complicated' & an update is on way - I can only assume such a helpful attitude shows them to be a long-time Amiga user.

Last edited by Charlie; 26 August 2007 at 22:13. Reason: spelling

Page generated in 0.04286 seconds with 11 queries