View Single Post
Old 26 January 2020, 22:25   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
So I'm seriously considering porting Rolling Thunder.

The problem is the target platform.

It's either got to be a stock A500 with 0.5mb ram expansion or an Amiga A1200.

Looking at the arcade game closely the animation in the sprites are deceptively detailed (i have not actually been able to get a hold of the ripped sprites (yet).

So for an A500, the frames in the sprites would need to be cut back making the game less arcade perfect, something I'd have to consider but then it would get shit thrown at it.

A1200 I'm pretty sure I could make a perfect port, but then it will also get shit thrown at it for not running on an A500.

I'm not really into doing both as that would be a huge amount of work.

The enemy sprites have ALOT of frames that would eat chip ram.

[ Show youtube player ]

So, RT on A500 or A1200?

Geezer
A500 no doubt.

1 Meg of any mem should be more than enough, most of the enemies are the same animations just different colours, its a multi directional scroller, but, it seems to limit that quite extensively throughout the game. Lots of horizontal movement, then a bit of downwards and then continue horizontal, its not like Turrican where thats a true free roaming multi directional scroller, Rolling Thunder seems to strictly limit those multi directions.

Most of the background graphics are bland so I can't see that being too much memory.

Store highspeed graphics in chip mem (i.e. bobs), and store low speed stuff in slow ram (i.e. background blocks if you're just copying into the border just before they come onscreen.

Score overlays as sprites like Parasol Stars does, i'm pretty sure 32 colours with later changes in the palette would be more than enough.

For those anim frames that are more than colour changes, those characters appear in later levels so just a reload is required from disk.

Rygar was a different proposition, it was never done on Amiga, and that gave you entirely the freedom you needed to do it.

However, my own personal feeling is that Amiga A500 owners were utterly robbed by what Tiertex released, and we all know the Amiga could have done significantly better, and I feel that should be the focus, otherwise, to my mind, its giving Tiertex an out, its saying "See, it could only be done on an AGA machine that wasn't released back then."

IMHO

Last edited by Galahad/FLT; 26 January 2020 at 22:33.

Page generated in 0.06571 seconds with 11 queries