View Single Post
Old 17 July 2016, 12:50   #5
djukon

Hi, I also have to clean up my A500 Plus and I have some questions.

So, to recap: brush with isopropyl alcohol, irrigate (soak?) with light acid (lemon juice or vinegar), rinse with isopropyl alcohol or distilled water, let it dry thoroughly. I read vinegar as an alternative to lemon juice in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
clean the area surrounding the battery with isopropyl alcohol (IPA)
I don't have IPA currently, I can only get some next Saturday. At least I think I don't, I do have a floppy drive cleaning liquid that came with a cleaning floppy, which doesn't say IPA on the label. It could be IPA, what else could it be besides it?

Quote:
irrigating with lemon juice while brushing to remove the deposits
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
The electrolyte will always seep under the solder mask from some spot.
Generously letting lemon juice or vinegar bathe the affected part of the board? Or doing it cautiously with small drops and cotton swabs so it doesn't get out of hand?

Should one brush the area during this phase, or just let lemon juice or vinegar seep in and let the acid neutralize the alkali? If one is to brush, with what then? Another clean paint brush?

Quote:
For cleaning, it is a good idea to remove the socketed chips,
Why? Is one supposed to bathe the entire board or a large part of it? Or just to be cautious in case a drop of acid jumps to the wrong place while cleaning the RTC area? Or is it because some electrical discharge could happen during the repair?

Quote:
and then flushing with tap water
Quote:
Just be sure to use something like distilled water or isopropyl alcohol for the final rinse, anything that won't leave mineral deposits behind when drying.
Generously letting distilled water or IPA go through the affected part of the board (one side to the other)? As to remove all traces of lemon juice or vinegar (as well as the neutralized alkali)?

On a side note, prowler, I don't think tap water is such a good idea as it contains many mineral deposits that when dry could cause electrical current to flow through the wrong places.

Quote:
drying thoroughly.
Soak up the liquid with some sort of cloth first, then apply a hair dryer with the heat turned off for 30 minutes? And then wait a week in a dry place? Add some rice in contact with the affected area as well during the drying week?

Quote:
The battery will not need to be replaced, unless the real time clock function is important to you, because that's the only reason it is there.
I will need it, but I haven't got it working since it came back from a very simple repair 6 or more years ago. The coin battery replacement must have been soldered in incorrectly or something. Is there a guide how to properly connect one? I once saw one online, like 10 years ago, unfortunately I can't find it anymore.

Page generated in 0.04686 seconds with 11 queries