View Single Post
Old 23 January 2002, 19:31   #12
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

RNC

Rob Northen charged people to use ANY of his tools.

If you used Copylock, you paid
If you used his sector loader, you paid
If you used his PDOS loader, you paid.

Even Propack, you paid for.

Rob Northens AmigaDOS Sector loader enables you to access disks on $200 byte offsets, is a fast disk system and also has in built save functions, hence why everyone used it.

Also compatible with most processors, very rare is it that Robs loaders were at fault on games that refused to work on AGA Amiga's.

Quak was a budget game, so to keep the cost down on something that would be cracked in seconds, Team 17 opted to not bother with copy protection. Using PDOS was out of the question because the size of the game was smaller than a standard AmigaDOS disk, therefore it would be VERY small in comparison to a PDOS formatted disk.

The preview version of Blob on the Amiga Power coverdisk is actually the FULL GAME without the tedious intro sequence. There is a piece of code to check when the player has reached a certain level, then it blocks any further progress.

I know this because I discovered it, and cracked it for Dual Crew Shining, Supplied by the Supplier, Cracked by the Cracker..... I was that cracker.

With relation to Quak's copy protection, Rob Northen most likely was requested to supply a Keydisk for Quak (a disk with the protection track), but Team 17 chose not to use it, or time beat them, so they released it without.

As far as Rob is concerned, he supplied the protection and was paid for it. So if a software company decides not to use it......

Page generated in 0.04185 seconds with 11 queries