View Single Post
Old 12 November 2019, 09:05   #45
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
So you want what ? That A500 owners throwed their A500 in the bin for a machine that costs a lot more and isn't even more powerful ? Or that they bought an accelerator board that does not make their machine faster ?

People who had an A500 just wanted to keep it. Else they would have bought an A1200 like i did, which would have been a magnitude better than a 486 emulating an A500 - and cheaper than 486, especially a DX4/100.

Not to mention little-endian x86 does not integrate very well with Amiga hardware.

And i doubt by the time they could afford the development time of such an emulation.

Right, but switching to x86 would have been even worse.
PPC at least were faster than what they were supposed to replace.
I think you are completely missing my point. I'm not suggesting that people throw their machines in the bin at all. I'm suggesting that instead of choosing PPC as the successor to 68k, x86 should have been chosen.

It would have been capable of 68k emulation as well as running new, native x86 Amiga software.

AmigaOS 4.1 would be written for this platform enabllng people to turn dirt cheap PC's into next-gen Amigas, instead of requiring a ridiculously expensive, outdated and underpowered machine.

x86 is still evolving and getting faster and faster. PPC died (as a personal computing platform) many years ago. It has no future.

Page generated in 0.04308 seconds with 11 queries