View Single Post
Old 13 April 2001, 10:32   #3
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Magazines

I enjoyed Amiga Format and CU Amiga alot, but I felt that Amiga Power was the only magazine that I could truly rely on when buying original games.

If you only had cracked copies of games, then it probably didn't matter much if magazines like CU Amiga gave rubbish games like Rise Of The Robots and Epic very high marks or that magazines like Amiga Action reviewed the PC version of Colonization.

Amiga Power didn't use up half a review with the plot for a game ("Once again, the evil King Buttface has seized control of the crystal shards of blah blah blah"), like Games X. It actually used the full percentage scoring system, from 0-100%, instead of giving most games scores between 60 and 100%, like Amiga Computing.

And it definitely didn't have an unwritten agreement with publishers to make their games out to be better than they were - US Gold and Team 17 stopped speaking to Amiga Power because they gave SOME of their games very low marks (Pools Of Darkness got 22%, but then something like Cybercon 3 got 88%. For Team 17, Overdrive got 46%, but Alien Breed 3D got 91%).

Amiga Power had a strict scoring system, great articles, a superb top 100 games every year and was well written and funny. What more could you ask for?

Page generated in 0.06065 seconds with 11 queries