View Single Post
Old 30 August 2016, 14:49   #24
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
- The lovely, simple file layout. Having well-named components in neatly organised directories is a godsend for troubleshooting and understanding a system. No folders full of thousands of badly named files.
This.
Makes me wonder what people who say that Linux is similar to Amiga smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus
- AmigaDOS Shell. Yes, it might not be as powerful as the Linux shells out there, but it's plenty capable for me, and with things like implied CD for drawer names, agnostic trailing slash usage, consistent template usage, well-named commands, decent scripting capability and so on make all other terminals and shells feel clunky and unfriendly to me.
Exactly. Not to mention the wonderful command history and line editing of KingCON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus
- ARexx. Such wide support and such a simple language make it a joy to use, and very simple to add functionality to Workbench for specific tasks (3.5+ of course...)
Couldn't agree more. The only thing that comes close is AppleScript on OSX, which I sadly haven't learned.

UNIX has the great concept of pipes, which is totally broken in AmigaDOS, but the pipe system breaks down totally when you're dealing with interactive programs.

Page generated in 0.04370 seconds with 11 queries