View Single Post
Old 04 December 2020, 03:18   #29
LooZee

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
but already way ahead of the previous attempt Amberworlds.

Amberworld was my baby. I started it almost 20 years ago, with a hex editor and some rudimentary disassemblers available at that time. It's been a great experience and it told me a lot about "open source" in general.

If you're making progress, you're getting lots of positive and motivating feedback. You might even find someone to help you out for a brief period and then disappear forever. There were two or three guys and I'm grateful they even bothered.

But if you're having a problem, you are on your own. You might get messages asking "is this project dead?" "when will this be playable?" "are you even working on this anymore?".

There will be people that are more interested in creating new graphics at higher resolutions, porting the 3D stuff to OpenGL, build an editor to create new content than there are people interested in making the thing playable at all.

I have seen parts of my code being used many times in all those years. People created maps and avatars to fill their websites with my tools. That's great and it always made me happy to have the Amberworld project credited.

But that is not what "open source" is about. It's not about getting things for free that someone else put a lot of work into. It's about helping each other. It's about progress and enhancement by each other's knowledge. That concept doesn't work anymore, if it ever did. Not in the open source software, nor the hardware scene.

Many attempts on porting Ambermoon, Amberstar and Albion have come and gone, I've seen them all. Some of them started by forking parts of my Amberworld project. Great ambitions have come and gone in almost 20 years. Not one of those developers ever contacted me to ask for cooperation. They all failed to reinvent the wheel and have disappeared within a few months period, leaving abandoned ambitions, but not a single line of code.

That is the lesson that Amberworld taught me about "open source". Never do that again. Well, I did, but that is a story for another time.

Page generated in 0.04453 seconds with 11 queries