View Single Post
Old 21 August 2020, 14:31   #55
Valken

One of the few PC games that I actually play are very CPU intensive (ARMA and GZDoom with Project Brutality and Russian Overkill combo mod). It is IPC, CPU MHZ and memory latency sensitive. I imagine Civilization is the same.

ARMA fans spend a ton of time measuring that extra 1-3 FPS and Intel CPU currently has the very good core to core latency.

AMD Ryzen has really good per core IPC, but once you use over 4 cores/8 threads, and it jumps onto the 5th core or 9th thread, the core to core latency shoots up from ~ 20 ns to 60 ns.

That is where IPC and latency sensitive apps will fall over itself.

Emulation is a lot of CPU IPC translation work in real time so the above affects it.

Look at this thread from the ARMA CPU discussion and look at Groove C's post on core to core latency. Think how that affects passing a ton of data between multiple cores.

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/to...omment-3413799

If you play old games, emulations or where the CPU does the bulk of the work, you want FAST CPU, HIGH IPC, LOW LATENCY RAM.

I gained over 10 FPS gained switching from DDR3-1600 CL9 to DDR3-2400 CL10! Same GPU.

The NEW Zen 3 Ryzen CPUs seems to have up to 8 cores on a big chip, so hope the core to core latency drops back down to ~ 20 ns. Couple that with big CPU L1,L2 and L3 cache, FAST RAM with low latency, then that would give us an optimized CPU to memory system to work with.

The 7700K, 8700K, 9700K and etc... still have really good inter core speeds since all the CPU are on the same physical core, no infinity fabric hence they hold their values.

So I suggest White to WAIT just another month to see when AMD will release their Zen 3 CPU, soon now, then watch the market. IT will hopefully drop the price of used Intel CPU and if not, you get a new Ryzen CPU with up to 8 cores on one big chip with low latency which will probably kill a 5 GHZ Intel 7,8,9 and even 10 series CPU for emulation.

Also, early reviews show AMD Zen 3 can run 1:1 with DDR4 RAM up to ~ 4233 MHZ! That is insane and would lower latency further.

Everything else would be core or gpu dependent and he can build the right system then.

Last edited by Valken; 21 August 2020 at 14:38.

Page generated in 0.04176 seconds with 11 queries