View Single Post
Old 22 September 2015, 02:44   #17
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Whilst Rayman on the Jag might be in a 65000 colour mode, its doubtful in the extreme that its actual colour count is anything close that.

Surely someone can do an emulation screen capture and do a colour count.

I bet its not even close to 65000, bet its closer to a 256 setup for ease of porting to different systems
Indeed, even on the Saturn and PS1 which both have true color frame buffers most sprites/polygons kittens are usually making use of only 16 color CLUTs. It is possible on both systems to use 256 entries CLUTs or even true color for sprites/polygons but they cost *way* more VRAM and fill rate so 16 colors are the most used ones. This is obviously true for the Jaguar as well.

This is a bit less true for 2D games since the sprite budget is simpler to compute and control but 256 colors CLUT cost twice as much memory wise as 16 colors ones so that weighs a lot when RAM is limited.

This said, one only needs sixteen 16 entries CLUTs to reach 256 colors so I would not be surprised if the count wandered close to the high hundreds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Unique colors: 4670

Edit: Taken from Thorham's page:

Unique colors: 28288
Note: when color counting, sources have to be pixel perfect identical to the original. Lossy algorithms such as JPEGs artificially increase the color count.

Update:
Well, turns out the images are PNGs so hey.
This said, only the background seems to be high color count, sprites look like 16 colors to my kitten eyes.

Last edited by TCD; 22 September 2015 at 16:30. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.

Page generated in 0.04375 seconds with 11 queries