View Single Post
Old 15 February 2021, 23:49   #3
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverskull View Post
So, getting to my question, essentially I’d prefer to use the Voodoo 3 for Warp3d compatibility, but the Radeon has a ton of RAM. Is it possible to have both cards and simply not use the Radeon for any type of video output?
I've never tried such a setup, but I believe it should be possible. Picasso96 supports multiple cards. However, the Radeon RAM will be very slow compared to the RAM on the Blizzard. You can fit 256MB to the BlizzardPPC - I would suggest maxing that out instead if you really need that much RAM.

Quote:
Second, I also have a PCI TV card. I seem to recall reading that it _is_ possible to redirect the native AGA output into the TV card and thus display any native AGA signals directly in a window on Workbench. Is this also the case? A single VGA output solution is ideal
Yes, I used to run this setup back in the day. The TV card works using an overlay directly into the graphics card's memory, so once the TV window is opened and the video set up, the OS isn't needed to display the picture. The downside of this is that you'll be using composite video from the Amiga's native output and scaling it - the results won't be particularly pretty. But it works reasonably well.

Quote:
Third, and this is frankly probably very stupid to ask but it’s actually not simple for me to find direct answers...how does the sound card work with AHI as well as native sound output? I can see where the CD-ROM connects to the sound card but am not clear about native sound output.
As suggested above, running the native audio into one of the sound card inputs will do just that. Once the Mixer program is run during startup, the sound card's inputs and outputs will be set up, and the native audio will be passed through without further OS intervention. Other sources like CD-ROM can be run in the same way, limited only by the number of physical inputs on the sound card.

Quote:
Fourth, I have all my computers sharing a KVM switch for video and USB. My keyboard and mouse are joined into a single USB cable. I have a PCI USB card. Does this suggest that my keyboard and mouse will work via the KVM into the Spider II USB, or will I need a separate keyboard/mouse combo for this machine? For some reason I seem to recall that WHDLoad won’t work with USB but could be wrong.
Yes, here is where you *do* need the OS running - the USB stack requires AmigaOS to be fully running to work, so your keyboard and mouse inputs will only be effective when using system-friendly software. WHDLoad itself isn't the problem, but practically every single WHDLoad-based game is not system-friendly and will shut down the OS, including the USB stack and thus your keyboard, mouse and joystick inputs from there. You'll need native inputs for software that reads them directly, like games. Again, as suggested, there are USB adaptors for native input, though they tend to not like combined devices and usually need a separate, dedicated keyboard and mouse, which means your KVM probably won't work.

Page generated in 0.04442 seconds with 11 queries