View Single Post
Old 23 December 2002, 17:23   #50
Fjrb

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NytroX86
I've read so many things about CAPS now that I'm starting to get confused. So here is my simple question: In the future, when, for example, my Settlers disks get knackered, will CAPS be able to provide me with what I need to make new exact Settlers disks that I can play on a real Amiga.

Yes.

They already can in emulation .

I don't want cracks cos I agree they spoil games with their messages at the start or built in cheat menus.

And missing intros, content, endings ...

I would want an exact copies of the disks including the copy protection (I doubt my manual will degrade too much over time) that I can use to make replacement disks or to install the game to a hard drive, assuming in the future DD disks will be impossible to find.

Exactly

If you can't and never will be able to use what CAPS are doing to put games on a real Amiga what exactly is the point?

No one ever said that is true

To preserve games to be used with emulators (Which I could live with as I accept my Amiga will probably die in the future)?

That's very important as well. Picture this, as floppies die, so does hardware. To ensure long run preservation, emulation is the CAPS of hardware, it preserves the hardware

- As a side note, i'd also note that the CAPS event will contribute to better emulation as untill now emulator coders only had cracks and hack in their hands and when an emulation error occured they couldn't be sure if it was an emulation error or another hack screwing things up -

But also for lots of people who no longer have an amiga, or that as you, might one day see it break down, although strange for someone of who owns the real thing right now, is a major part of it, in the long run it definitely is, how many Amigas will be working 10 years from now ? What about in 2050 ? If you're not 50 already, chances are you'll still be alive and wanting to play that old game again ... but you're Amiga might not be.

I hope you can clear things up for my because I think the principal behind CAPS is admirable, but I don't know how you plan to implement it.

Check up the FAQ at the site www.caps-project.org , i'm guessing most people would be surprised realising most questions made here already answered there, and a bit more

Page generated in 0.04886 seconds with 11 queries