View Single Post
Old 09 September 2013, 00:27   #6
chaos

Personally, I think both boards are great, and the authors deserve praise for their work.

To sum up all the technical differences mentioned, the Replay board has more memory (and probably memory bandwidth), more pins (which allows for the daughterboard, definitely a nice addition), and potentially higher quality sound & video output. It also has yaqube working on the minimig code

The Mist board is cheaper, has USB keyboard/mouse, and (mostly) complete Atari ST and Amiga cores, plus some ports from Pace, with other cores in the works (C64). It is also available *now*. I am definitely pleased with it (thanks to Till for sending me one!).

I would like to address some of the differences mentioned by MikeJ:

Quote:
General:
MIST - 3 x linear regulator, no protection. Two layer PCB
REPLAY - Thermal fuse (auto reset) + input over voltage protection. 3 x DC-DC for high efficiency (low heat) and higher current supplies. Six layer PCB to maintain good signal integrity.
The Mist board doesn't use much current, so not much need for DC-DC regulators. They are a nice addition though, although it is possible they produce more noise on the power rails. Also, Mist board doesn't seem to have any problems with signal integrity.

Quote:
FPGA :
MIST - Altera Cyclone III EP3C25E in 144pin package. 24,624 LE (flop + lut)
REPLAY - Xilinx XC3S1600E in BGA320 pin package. 33,192 LE (flop + lut)
This sounds like marketing material from Xilinx In reality, the Spartan 1600E has more like 29000 LE equivalents, and in my experience the Altera FPGAs usually provide better utilization, so the size of designs for both parts is mostly the same.

Quote:
Clocking :
MIST - Fixed 27MHz oscillator
REPLAY - 3 channel programmable clock generator – can generate exact base clocks for PAL/NTSC Amiga for example
The Altera CycloneIII has much more capable clock handling inside the FPGA (PLLs instead of DLLs, plus they are chainable and run-time configurable), so no need for external PLL, and all the required clocks can easily be generated inside the FPGA.

Quote:
The Replay board also has a built in RS232 serial port for debug (can be connected either to FPGA or the ARM).
Likewise for the Mist board.

Both boards are great choices to buy, I guess it depends on what you want to do with them. If the original minimig was a A500 (or A600) recreation, then the Mist is (or, will be) like a slightly expanded, slightly faster A1200. The Replayboard with the 060 daughterboard is more like a very fast A4000.

Page generated in 0.04241 seconds with 11 queries