Thread: 68k details
View Single Post
Old 13 November 2018, 21:53   #770
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by litwr View Post
I am not sure but I won't be surprised if we find out that almost all A4000/40 were sold in Germany. There was no any real mass produced 68040 based computer and there were a lot of cheap 80486 based models.
And your evidence for most or all of the A4000/40s being sold in Germany is what?

And remember, you claimed no more than a few hundred 68040 based machines were made worldwide. This is clearly nonsense. You also forget there were a whole bunch of Apple Macs based on the 68040. These were obviously mass produced and were part of the market for a number of years.
Quote:
Was there any computer based on 68060? As I know it was only available as an upgrade.
Barely any, there was an Amiga model and some workstations here and there but not much else. Interestingly, most of the companies that primarily used Motorola in the past didn't switch from 68k to Intel at the end of the '68k era', but chose from a variety of RISC based CPU's instead.

Quote:
My initial point was about the 90 and 91 and I have to admit that it was wrong about 1991. However Archimedes had surprisingly affordable prices considering the power of its competitors.
I have to concur that the A5000 with it's 25MHz CPU was relatively cheap at GBP999/$1700. It offered about 80% of the speed of a $3000 486.

The low end fared considerably worse though, the A3000 was competing with Atari's and Amiga's around the GBP250-300 mark and itself cost anywhere from GBP499 to GBP649 (I can't seem to find a price for these in 1991, the 649 is from 1989 and the 499 is from it's replacement the A3010 in 1992)

Quote:
You have a fact about the line drawing algorithm implementation. It is common to consider that ARM code density is significantly worse than of x86 and it is common to consider x86-32 code as the best here. However we have 80 bytes of ARM code for this algorithm and 82 for x86. IMHO compilers still make rather very poor codes for ARM - read the article - http://benno.id.au/blog/2009/01/01/s...onserving_code - it is about handmade reducing of a code produced by GCC from 100 bytes to 10! I can't imagine such a thing for x86.
As I explained before, one tiny example is not nearly enough to make it into generally applicable fact. I already said that and I stand by that.

You are also really, really, really misrepresenting the results of that blog post - the compiler did indeed originally produce code that was 100 bytes long. However, after changing the compiler flags to produce size optimised rather than non optimised code and code that was specific to the actual CPU used rather than general ARM code, it dropped down to only 16 bytes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blog post you refered to above
The compiler line is: $ arm-elf-gcc -c poll.c -o poll.o -Os -mcpu=arm7tdmi -mthumb.

Which produces code like:
00000000 <poll>:
poll():
0: 6803 ldr r3, [r0, #0]
2: 1c02 adds r2, r0, #0
4: 1c08 adds r0, r1, #0
6: 4018 ands r0, r3
8: d001 beq.n e <poll+0xe>
a: 4383 bics r3, r0
c: 6013 str r3, [r2, #0]
e: 4770 bx lr
So, now we are down to 16 bytes
Just to make sure you understand this: note that this improvement is made merely by changing some compiler flags. He did not do any assembly programming at all to reach 16 bytes. After this improvement, he changes the C code ever so slightly and gets it to compile to just 12 bytes. Again, note that all of this is without any assembly language on his part - all this was done merely by changing compiler flags and changing one line of C code.

Then he takes the 12 bytes example and manages to improve that to 10 bytes. In other words, he managed to hand optimise the code by all of 6 bytes if we include the changed line of C code as an example of 'hand optimised assembly' (which it isn't!) and if we exclude that he only managed to optimise the final result of the compiler by 2 bytes. All other optimisation was done purely by the compiler.

Seriously, your claim of 100 to 10 bytes is so wrong/misleading I'm starting to wonder if you even read the article. That article you linked is actually conclusive proof that compilers for the ARM are really quite good.

Quote:
Emulators are very complex programs and therefore can give very good impression of the performance of hardware. I used text modes and Norton utilities for benchmarking. It is sad that there is no Archimedes emulator for Linix. Indeed we should take into accout the quality of emulation but I don't remember much difference except the very slow work with Amiga-500.
I have to disagree - a single application, no matter how complicated is never a good way to benchmark an entire machine. Especially when the two applications compared are not actually the same program and may cover a problem (or partial problem) that is better suited for one architecture over another.

Quote:
I don't insist that Archimedes is always 10 times faster but IMHO for proper optimised programs it can be faster about this number. I repeat my counts with the standard line drawing algorithm show that ARM can be 50% faster than 80486 at the same frequency. Amiga-500 has only slow RAM and Archimedes RAM access is 2 or even more times faster. So theoretically 68000 can only be 4-5 times slower but with Amiga it is about 10.
You haven't proven this 10x at all, as I've tried to explain before and tried to do again just now. Much more than a single application is needed. Emulators might simply be a better fit to the Archimedes (for instance due to the screen memory layout of the Archimedes being much closer to the PC one than the Amiga screen memory layout is).

It's really quite complicated to compare performance. In the last post, I even gave a counter example: Archimedes 3D games are not 10x the speed of the Amiga version, even though they suit the Archimedes very well. Another example: the A500 can accelerate line drawing using the Blitter. The speed increase varies with length, but for most lines it's apparently at least as fast as a high speed 68030.

Quote:
Thank for an interesting Amiga benchmark cite. I am a bit surprised that for some tests A1200 only 40% faster than A500. IMHO 68020 should be much faster. So it sounds as a common problem of Motorola products - their theoretical specifications are much better than practical.
1) You are not reading the benchmarks correctly. Setting the A1200 as baseline gives the A500's best number as 58% - that does not mean the A1200 is 40% faster. I've attached an image (note, I've cut away the superfluous part with an image editor) to show the results when the A500 is set as the baseline. As you can see, the A1200 averages to about 2x the speed of the A500 and is still at least 70% faster than the A500 in the worst test result.

2) It is common knowledge the 68020 in the A1200 was held back by the slow on board RAM. If you add any amount of trapdoor RAM to the A1200, it becomes about 4x the speed of the A500 - without needing to upgrade the CPU. As an example, the GVP1208 (which does nothing but add 8MB of RAM to the A1200) just about doubles the speed of the base A1200.

So your conclusion about the problem being the Motorola chip is wrong. Even the idea that the design was at fault would be wrong - the A1200 was designed as a low-end computer, not as a high end one. This may not be what most Amiga fans (including me) wanted to see, but at least it was fairly easy and cheap to double the performance of the A1200.

Quote:
Indeed Amiga can show very good results with some types of graphics but I was almost shocking when 8 MHz Archimedes showed animated plane flight in a window and a Basic code for this program in another window! IMHO it was impossible to write such things in interpreted Basic, I use my Amiga experience for this estimation.
You are aware you can do this in Amiga Basic (yes, the Microsoft variant) as well (though I do admit it's not terribly intuitive), right?

Or if you prefer a simpler approach, this can also be done using Blitz Basic and AMOS PRO (though the last one is bit of a stretch as it isn't as system friendly and thus doesn't do windows per se).

Edit: it occurs to me the above might not be quite clear enough on what I mean, so here goes:

All the above forms of BASIC can play back IFF animations (though it is easier using AMOS Pro/Blitz) and at least two of them can do so in an entirely OS friendly way. All these forms of BASIC can also create and display animations in different ways (such as using sprites, BOBs, etc). The part about the window might be more interesting - I'm 100% sure Blitz and Amiga Basic can display IFF animations on a standard Amiga screen and as such, the animation and listing can be shown at the same time.

Getting the listing to display on the same screen (or in a window on the WB screen) as an IFF animation may be more tricky as WB1.3/WB2.0 were not really designed for that, but should probably still be doable. Displaying BOBs/sprites in a window should be easier to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A1200vsA500_comb.png
Views:	51
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	60815  

Last edited by roondar; 14 November 2018 at 14:38. Reason: rephrased the A1200 vs A500 benchmark bit / clarified the basic anim player bit

Page generated in 0.04430 seconds with 12 queries