View Single Post
Old 13 July 2013, 00:04   #7
bodhi

pmc: I would prefer to use UAE's debugger as it'd be better for my Windows-based crossdev Notpad++/VASM way of doing things but MonAm is definitely an alternative option. Devpac is a really nice Amiga asm IDE. I used it for a bit before I decided on crossdev. Didn't use MonAm at the time but I had a little play around with it lastnight and, like you say, it works well when I give it a GenAm compiled binary.

Haven't tried it with one of my regular VASM compiled binaries yet, so I don't know if MonAm will have difficulty with VASM symbols, hunks, line numbers (for source level debugging), etc. I'm not sure if all that stuff (debug hunks,etc) is standard on Amiga - but VASM also has some Devpac compatibility options. I'll have play around with that a bit more and see if they work well together.

I also had a quick look at BDebug (by Ralph Schmidt), which looks great. Can't say how well it works in use yet but it has a really nice Intuition interface (I noticed I could set BPs, etc. by clicking on mem addresses/labels, nice!)

bippym: I needed the h++++ option that displays Apollo's post. Couldn't find it! Anyways, you're right, seems the help list really is all there is to it

Appolo: That's great, Just what I needed to get me going. Thank you very much. I followed your steps for a simple program and they work well. From what Toni says, UAE's debbugger was never designed for "friendly" debugging - I thought maybe there was a bunch of functionality just not officially documented. But your steps may be all I ever need to debug my simple code anyway, so I think it could still be useful.

Toni: You're right. w 0 100 2 removes the need for at least 3 of Appolo's steps. Nice tip, cheers!

Last edited by bodhi; 13 July 2013 at 00:27.

Page generated in 0.04951 seconds with 11 queries