View Single Post
Old 22 September 2010, 00:06   #128
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
RE: Gods

Personally - Choppy scrolling aside - the game is quite boring for me, I find it linear and obvious... I found none of this "thinking" that people mention here - it not all that hard to complete - just monotonus to be quite frank about it.
Gods is anything but linear. It's packed full of stuff that you could easily miss by just aiming for the finish line. It's a game that rewards multiple play throughs. Head over to the Gods section at http://www.gods-country.de/ and read some of the posts about some of the stuff people are still finding.

Quote:

As far as platform games go - they dont need much - however good fast/smooth scrolling is an essential ingredient - somthing that I feel that Gods lacks - Since gods is not ment to be a fast-platformer - I tihnk its this that allows the game to get away with what it does for a lot of people.
This goes back to the earlier point of whether Gods IS a true platformer. I say no, therefore fast/smooth scrolling isn't necessary.

Quote:
With the exception of a couple of other titles I find that the games that BitMap Brothers released (published and or developed) are more "style" over "subtance"
Interesting view. I find the same thing with Team 17 games. For me BB games are style AND substance, whereas T17 look nice but are dull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggot View Post
Tell that to Lionheart. How can a game with ugly character proportions, a 16-color palette, and choppy movement have the best graphics on the Amiga? Have you even played another Amiga game?
Lionheart? Are you seriously holding THAT up as a good example? The main character looks like shit, and if anything is an example of ugliness, that's it right there! Also, the fact that Gods uses so few colours and still manages to look THAT good is surely something to be praised. I have experience with pixel art so I know what an achievement it is.

Quote:
No, but fewer colors used = not "the best"
Subjective. Chaos Engine looks better than the AGA version IMO.

Quote:
As a point to mention -

As far as I am aware GOD's sold quite well for the BitMap Bros. - they followed up most of their games with a sequel but not GOD's -

Hmmm I wonder why?
I'm sure I read that Magic Pockets uses the Gods engine, and it does have a similar feel. Maybe this is why a direct sequel to Gods never appeared. I could understand critisism of MP more than Gods because it was selling itself as a cutesy platformer (where fast scrolling/speedy gameplay IS expected), but still has the slow pace of Gods.

Quote:
I'm sure that you're all thinking "Good riddance!" right about now. The feeling is mutual. I have never encountered ANYBODY on the Internet more difficult to converse with, or more ready to use straw men, or more happy to ridicule me for positions that I didn't hold. (Not that you care.)
You should maybe think about how you've come across seeing as you're a new member. You're very 'loud' for someone with 30 posts.

Quote:

I even went back on some of my favourite games from them - and I noticed that even in my favvy Chaos Engine you cannot run and fire at the same time - you can run - then fire then run - but not both simultaneously... and it does suffer a bit.
Are you serious? I half think you must be joking! You can't surely have only just noticed that CE isn't a run n gun, right?

Last edited by Dastardly; 22 September 2010 at 00:12.

Page generated in 0.06204 seconds with 11 queries