Thread: Use of MOVE16
View Single Post
Old 23 June 2020, 10:07   #17
AmigaHope

My 2 cents:

Whenever I had to duplicate a chunk of memory for some reason (e.g. create a backup buffer of "original data" when I'm going to modify the original) as long as the data was bigger than the data cache, MOVE16 was always a win. It was also a (very small) win if I had to copy an image buffer into display memory.

The two cards I own are an A3640 and a CSPPC/060. I never had any problems. C= and Phase 5 represent the #1 and #2 040/060 cards out on the market, probably the large majority. If a tool works well for the vast majority of what's out there, why not use it?

The only thing that would make me think twice would be if any of the #3 cards (Apollo?) had a problem.

It's a tool that definitely works well for what it's intended to do. If it causes problems on some very early 040 cards, well, then they can run a MOVE16-clean version of whatever is created.

It would be interesting if a test program could be created to see if there's a problem on any of the very early cards from RCS, PPI, GVP, etc. I know that PPI included a jumper on the Mercury that sets the burst inhibit on all off-card addresses.

Page generated in 0.10521 seconds with 11 queries