View Single Post
Old 13 October 2016, 01:31   #44
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
I don't care about theorems. The Amiga outputs PCM and AY can be turned to output PCM as well, even though it's not designed for that.
Said otherwise, i care more about real life usage than pure theory.
But they not work the same as such they can't be used as comparable techniques... at least based on description for https://www.msx.org/forum/developmen...mples-poor-psg - there is no PCM code - there are transition in internal state machine so you not converting sample values but instead you folding waveforms...

I will not comment your opinion about theory.

Quote:
Here you take as granted that we go to 14bit before calibration.
This is just not the case !
Even if you have 65535 samples some of them are lost due overlapping between DAC (6 bit attenuator)

Quote:
Same problem as above. We would perhaps get 10-12 bits if we took 14 bit and then calibrate on them.
But we take 16 bits as input and calibrate just that, ending with 14 bits.
Well... not if you have 14 bit DAC then you don't need to calibrate it - if you need calibrate DAC then you no longer have 14 bit...

Quote:
It was an unexpanded A600 (labeled A300, i don't remember other details). I don't have it anymore.
I've never plugged my A1200 to something really big, but i've never heard any noise coming from it either.
Perhaps we have different perception of noise.

Quote:
But nevertheless the amount of noise it receives from other components is way bigger...
Other compnents ?

Quote:
Yeah, on the paper. But the mere fact they are 16 bit doesn't mean they really provide 96dB. They might have very poor signal/noise ratio and end up with 12 bit quality.
Measured not on paper... nowadays this is not a problem.

Quote:
And ? Calibration is there precisely to raise accuracy, not resolution.
In addition, don't forget that the sound doesn't come directly from the DAC, there is filtering hardware behind. And what matters for me is the final output.
At a cost of resolution... other factors are also important as such we going back to what started this discussion - 14 bit resolution maybe real life maximum 12 bit accuracy or less.

Quote:
If so, why the heck would true 16-bit DAC be better ? They're not linear either.
Real 16 bit DAC has 16 bit linearity and this is significant difference between 2x 8 bit DAC and 1 16 bit DAC.

Page generated in 0.04635 seconds with 11 queries