View Single Post
Old 07 October 2016, 14:07   #6
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
First, the keyboard wiring. I'm thinking of using a PC keyboard cable, snipping it at both ends and using that to extend my Amiga keyboard cable. Basically snipping the Amiga cable in half so I have the proper connection on both ends. I don't suppose the keyboard cable would be longer than 2/3rds of a meter (aprox 2 feet at most). I do not know f a PC cable has enough wires in it but that's not a big deal I can use any readily available cable as long as the gauge isn't way off.

Any Caveats to this approach that anyone can think of?
No caveats, it will happily drive a 2 foot cable. The original cables are a bit longer.

Quote:
I would like get the Amiga LEDs off the KB and on to the tower as well. Is there a way to do that direct from the mainboard as opposed to running wires back from the KB in to the tower? I'm looking at the pinouts here >><< and see Status LED but not drive access LED for the floppy. Or do I have it backwards? Or .. well yeah, can I run the power LED and the floppy activity LED straight from the mainboard keyboard connection?
Just take them from the mainboard keyboard connector. The two rightmost pins.

Quote:
My second concern is the edge expansion port. It's a 50 position 100 pin edge card connector for this correct? (http://classiccomputers.info/down/Co...anual_1987.pdf) I've about salvaging an old ISA slot which sounds appealing because I have parts. And my GVP SCSI controller has pins from each edge connection that I can slide a connector on to. Basically looking to make an adaptor with the 100 pin edge connector to the Amiga side and all the pins wired directly to male header pins using a single connector on each wire. Has anyone done something like this before?
86 pins. If you are careful with the saw and choose a high quality glue, you can make a pretty neat connector yourself. The GVP's connector could also potentially be desoldered and you'd put in your sawed (+glued) vertical connector in its place.

Quote:
And tricks or tips? Approximately, how long can I make this connection without worry? No more than 2 feet long because that's how tall my tower is so could I place the controller in an empty 5 1/4"bay?
I would lay the controller in the bottom of the tower at a 90 degree angle to the computer, then extend the SCSI bus instead.

Quote:
PS, I haven't decided if I want to keep the Original PSU or not. I don't see a point in destroying a perfectly good A00 PSU so I'm probably going to be mounting 3 PSUs in my case. The Original Maiga, The GVP one. I haven't made up my mind yet about doing the GVP power from Amiga mod. I think I may opt to do it because I won't be powering a hard drive with it, just a SCSI2SD adaptor. In which case I could probably tap the A500 power directly to supply power via the micro USB. Oh options, options options. And then there's my internal SCSI CD-Rom tht needs power, THAT will run off an ATX PSU. So yeah, I'll have at least 2 if not 3 power on switches that need to follow a specific order. Any ideas or advise in this area?
Forget the original PSUs and use an ATX PSU that you wire to the Amiga and the GVP controller.

Page generated in 0.04463 seconds with 11 queries