View Single Post
Old 13 September 2010, 00:45   #34
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
Although it's floating-point-less (if that's the "bad joke" you wanted to throw - pardon the question from a German), I don't know of any useful software that requires an FPU these days. If you want to render something with an Amiga, you either go '060 or emulation, but not '030.
Yep.. :-) I know, REALLY BAD JOKE! ;-)
I'm actually a bit surprised considering how many RAM w/FPU and accelerators with FPU options there are that so little software uses them, but the more I look, the more I see that there's not much FPU software out there..

Quote:
I created these cards because I was amazed about the prices that A1200 memory expansions go for on eBay.
I know, I complain about that a lot. I've been holding off on getting more RAM for my 1200 for that reason.. I finally did break down and agree to buy one at a decent price (last week, it hasn't even arrived yet), but even that isn't all that far from the proposed price for your new card. So you're right on target there. I know I'll be ordering, even tho I will have a RAM card. That's just my timing.. ;-)

Quote:
To take advantage of 3.3V rams in a 5V system, you need 5V-tolerant drivers between the voltage domains. The drivers I'm using have a guaranteed propagation delay for up to 50pF capacitive load. If I add the pin capacity of the translators, the data bus drivers and the CPU to the trace capacity of the board, I end up barely below 50pF, so the 2-cycle access that I use here is within spec. If an FPU would be on the data bus as well, I'd have to add another waitstate to the memory timing, which would add up to 4 waitstates for a cache line burst, which is currently 2-1-1-1. Although my target was never "high performance", the 28MHz-A1200 version (which is the only functional model at the moment) is probably the fastest non-static mem 28-MHz-68030 ever made for the Amiga.
That's exactly what I was thinking!
OK, I have no idea what you just said, but I assume it means you have a great design that allows you to use less expensive parts and make a SUPER FAST card!

I'm not much of a FPS person, but that seems to be the gauge a lot of people use..
I wonder how your 28Mhz card will run AB3D or Gloom or ???

Personally, I'm more interesting in seeing how well it will run a web browser. I'm not expecting to watch youtube or play flash games with it, but there's still plenty of older websites out there that should make it fun..

And I have no idea what I would do with that much RAM on a 1200, but I'm looking forward to finding out..

Thanx,

desiv

Page generated in 0.05805 seconds with 11 queries