View Single Post
Old 27 October 2019, 18:12   #880
chb

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
This is similar. Theory against practice. You have samples with several different volume in tracked music. You can't always avoid this. And sometimes you fade out the whole track e.g.. I sampled a lot with my TST2 sampler. The source isn't always optimal. Optimal volume isn't always possible. Further you have to fight against the limited hardware and software. Yes, you can get really good quality, but that doesn't work always.
I totally agree with you that recording samples in 8 bit is very difficult, as you need perfect recording levels not to loose even more of the already limited dynamic range. However, that does not apply to playback at a comparable scale. You can e.g. record a sample with 16 bit and easily covert it to an 8 bit sample with full volume, without the need for perfect levels - you have enough bits left for normalization. That's similar today - almost everything in the studio is recorded at 24 bit (and processed in 32 bit floating point), to get some headroom for recording and processing; but for the final mix 16 bit is sufficient (even more than). So that rather supports the argument that the grainy, noisy sound heard so often on the Amiga stems from limitations of the sample recording process, not the playback hardware.

Page generated in 0.05172 seconds with 11 queries