View Single Post
Old 07 November 2019, 19:53   #9
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
You will need some exposure to spoken language if you want to maintain your French at the current level, any typically French cultural artifact will do, Monsieur , FM radio, cable TV, recorded for TV or DVD pièces de théatre (from authors such as Molière, De Musset...), you may find quite of few of these on legacy P2P networks...
I knew someone who was granted access to a private FTP access once if that's what you are referring to, twice actually. Sharing ripped Björk or Red Hot Chili Peppers CDs was the thing by then, among other stuff. He told me he had to pay in real cash though, and corresponding server was shut down rapidly. Unless you're some kind of V.I.P., nothing beats doing it on your own. I know for a fact EAB regulars had a couple of confidential sites to download Amiga goodies from too, CD32 ISOs and what not.
Tbh, the song 7 seconds was a huge multicultural hit, but as long as French language is involved, it might prove a bit frustrating with that thick accent and truncated speech. During her youth, the female counterpart Neneh Cherry had quite an act as a house music singer / rapper :

[ Show youtube player ]

For a more eloquent outing bearing an African vibe, I would suggest giving a try to the White Griot aka Salif Keita music, especially Sosie (means look-alike).

[ Show youtube player ]

Code:
He (S. Keita) takes up residence in Mali in 1996, and balances his time between Paris and Bamako.
Folon's polar opposite, Sosie, comes out the following year. Sosie is a saccharine,
adult contemporary treatment of classic French love songs, but it's a repertoire he enjoys singing.
One review characterizes it thusly : "Fans of S. Gainsbourg won't get it. African music purists will hate it.
Those with a taste for slightly confused and skewed pop music will love it". Island declined the album,
it was released on the tiny Mellemfolkgleit label.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 08 November 2019 at 05:29.

Page generated in 0.04157 seconds with 11 queries