View Single Post
Old 16 November 2018, 23:26   #303
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
So is the ST binary in tact? i.e. your code hooks the calls made in the binary to Amiga routines? Fucking great work buddy, deserves a few beers.
Pretty much. I usually find a version of the game that isn't on an ST compact because then I can't relocate the code to where I want.

So I found a normal disk version, copied all the files of the disk, and used a routine to relocate the ST executable to an address of my choice.

That binary then stays in memory, I load it up to the address I need, and then patch it on the fly, so theoretically, the ST executable will still work on ST, not thats of any use.

Some of the stuff to patch is very easy, other stuff is more tricky, but getting stuff onscreen is normally quite quick.

I looked at Warhawk, and I had that up and running in about half an hour displaying and letting the demo mode play.

The big headache is the realtime screen conversion routine which makes converting games like this so much easier. I don't need to code every single individual graphic routine, I let the main routine run that processes everything to the ST screen, and then realtime convert to the Amiga screen, knowing all the graphic operations have already occurred to the ST screen.

For more game speed, converting each and every graphic routine is the way to go, but theres always the chance a routine is missed or is interpreted wrongly.

But I already have a speed improvement for v1.2 of Starquake on 68000, so that will save me a lot of effort.

Glad you like it

Page generated in 0.08628 seconds with 11 queries