View Single Post
Old 07 August 2006, 18:04   #8
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mindie
CygnusEd... I believe it was an CUAmiga Coverdisk, with v3.5 on it? Anyways, DiskRot(c) has claimed it My point here wasn't just CED, though, it was software in general, and the morality of downloading disks to replace rotten originals.
Yeh I know you were talking about software in general. I was just pointing out why CED is an interesting case that muddies the waters for what you're wanting to discuss.

Quote:
And to that point, I personally believe that I bought the software, paid my money, and if I can't use the original disk (for any number or reasons, DiskRot(c), misplaced, and so on (if you've thrown the disk away, you're screwed, IMO, and should buy the software again)) am I morally obliged to buy a new one? That will (in the case of boxed things at least) leave me with two manuals, but only one useable disk.

Though some might have a use for my "extra" manual, I don't want my bookshelf to be cluttered with two three four five manuals for the same software, does that make any sense?
Are you morally obliged to buy a new one? I guess that's between you and your priest/maker and depends on availability of the software from alternative sources! It's pretty much horses for courses as to what I would do, but that's me. Are you legally obliged to buy a new one.......for sure.

Quote:
And just to make sure, what we call "abandonware" isn't, in the technical sense really abandonware, is it? I mean, none of it is over 50 years old and thus truly free of the copyright rules, especially since the Amiga is only 21 yo this year
Yep, no such thing as "abandonware" for the reasons you state.

Page generated in 0.05508 seconds with 11 queries