View Single Post
Old 21 March 2018, 11:21   #35
solidcore

@Akira

I don't know if it's really your place to flame jeff , perhaps attitude is relative to the situation, he's built something from scratch and put years into it. People have unreasonable expectations, often enough they want others to resolve a problem immediately as they've paid, so their expectations go up as a consumer. However, it's unrealistic as the nature of his work is not basic , it's a high skill area which others do not comprehend most of the time and therefore a lot of stress and shitty attitudes do happen its natural, expect it, what kind of world do you think we live in? As for his firmware, it's natural for things not to work 100% and I am sure jeff's intentions are good. He doesn't need to talk nice to people for the sake of talking nice to people, as we know all humans are variable there and that's not a requirement for anyone, there's a difference between a persons attitude and arrogance and someone damn right flaming someone for the sake of it. Simply put we choose to be nice we don't have to be, but we shouldn't be nasty for no reason of course. And If someone is a dick he has a right to reply in public, even if ignoring sometimes is the best recourse. Regardless of how he comes across in the forums and how you think it may damage his image this is a matter of your own perspective AND this is his business, if he takes on losses from that manner of speaking that's his problem, not yours, unless you are a hxc retailer I wouldn't make a comment regarding HIS personal business personally.

Anyhow regarding the disagreements over HFE,
@Kaffer, @jeff

I see jeff's argument, and I see kaffers, I mean publishing the PDF regarding the file header etc appears to be documentation for others to refer to in which case naturally support is intended, however, this may have been originally intended towards hxc project and not their own projects that serve no interest of the hxc project, at the time I don't think jeff expected another floppy emulation, let alone support his file format.

I see kaffers point that it's readily available so you can assume that if I build support for such file type then It's acceptable, in very much the way that both of you support ADF and neither developed that file format yourselves (as far as i know). How far do we take supporting formats before intellectual property is infringed, that a grey area or not? I mean look at Photoshop it supports a ton of image formats, you can say the same about many image editing tools, it's a widely accepted practice to import other image formats as they crop out over the years from bmp, gif, jpeg, png and so on... In the case of amiga floppy emulation the data is an amiga game, it's format is jeff's personal interpretation of the game and flashfloppy can read jeff's interpretation based on jeff's documentation, it's all fair in some respect as flashfloppy claims to be code from scratch and that can be verified by his open source approach, so imo as long as the main objective of flashfloppy wasn't to damage jeff personally whereby there's evidence to suggest it was intended and there's no legal issue with hfe support I'd probably conclude the argument is simply heated for no reason.

As for my experience with both Jeff and Kaffer.

I respect both of your work, enjoy using both hxc and flash floppy and can't imagine my goteks without either. I've had a great experience with Jeff in pm which people like Akira are unaware of. And I have yet to really find the time to chat about kaffers product with him but hopefully one day we can chat.

Last edited by solidcore; 21 March 2018 at 13:33.

Page generated in 0.04653 seconds with 11 queries