View Single Post
Old 16 March 2018, 08:15   #33
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffer View Post
Why would I when there is perfectly good open source software out there to do those jobs. As many have said to you in the past, that is how open source is supposed to work.
I was talking about the closed source firmware.
Anyway yes i already read this argument and i still think that there is no point with the open source here.
And the semantic of some words used in your previous post tend to confirm me it :

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffer View Post
FlashFloppy merely supports:
1. The HFE and HFEv3 image formats
2. The HxC-Autoboot-file-selector's Flash-access protocol
In both cases using my own code implemented from published documents
(eg. http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_d...ile_format.pdf)
and/or reverse engineered from open-source code.
Reverse engineering is not specific to the open source. You can do this on the binaries (with a disassembler or debugger) and/or by sniffing the floppy bus to get the protocol.
Since you are more in "reverse engineering" mode than in "open source" spirit toward the hxc project, i am sure that closed source stuff would not have stopped you to make the same thing. The open source part just make the work easier for you...
This is a more general property intellectual problem here. Apparently we are not in a "clean room design" method here.

Regarding the pdf document i wasn't aware that any published specifications, datasheet, user manual or any other type of document available on the internet could be used to clone a product without any restriction.

Last edited by Jeff_HxC2001; 16 March 2018 at 08:33.

Page generated in 0.07036 seconds with 11 queries