Thread: ACA500 plus?
View Single Post
Old 17 February 2017, 15:52   #295
tknice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
Rev.5 is fine for those in NTSC-land, as there is only one difference between the OCS and the ECS Agnus pinout: The "Test" pin of the OCS chip turned into a "PAL/NTSC switch" pin on the ECS version.

Since "test" is grounded on Rev.5, the ECS Agnus will be put into NTSC mode when dropped in, so perfect for tknice, who is from the US.

The chip alone won't give you 1MByte chipram, but the ACA500plus can do the rest. While you'd have to do some trace scratching and soldering without the ACA500plus, you just activate the ChipMap feature in the ACA500plus menu, and all address lines to the Agnus chip will be toggled the right way.

Ignore all other instructions, such as "switch off the internal RAM expansion" - that's only true if you don't have the ACA500plus. If you're unsure, make the system work without the ACA500plus in 512k+512k configuration first. When that works with the ECS Agnus, don't change anything, just plug in the ACA500plus and let it do it's thing.

Jens

Edit: don't cheap out on the chip-puller tool. Yes, there are 5-dollar-tools available, but they only destroy the chip. Better go for the 20-dollar variant.
That great Jens! I read about all the trace scratching and other stuff in some post from years ago and it made me really nervous. I don't want to mess my original A500 up, just to play a few extra games.

So I may try this then. Unfortunately for me, E-Penguin's chip is a PAL version and I'm here in the states and probably need NTSC? I just ordered an RGB>Scart cable and Scart>HDMI 720/1080p upcaler to work with a flatscreen. Do you think this would make a difference with the type of AGNUS chip I get? If it won't work, I can hunt for an NTSC ECS chip.

EDIT: I read your post again and it sounds like his PAL version will switch to NTSC for me. Is that correct?

Thanks for all of the info guys--and Jens, you have really outdone yourself with this board! I've really enjoyed playing Defender of the Crown, Great Giana Sisters and all these other memorable games on my old setup! So Cool!

I'll get the right chip puller for this as well. If you have any other advice on switching out the AGNUS or anything else I need to check first, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,

TK

Last edited by tknice; 17 February 2017 at 15:57.

Page generated in 0.19612 seconds with 11 queries