View Single Post
Old 14 January 2022, 16:21   #30
Brick Nash
Prototron

Thanks for the feedback folks, it's much appreciated.

I can totally see the advantage of going to AGA, but I just truly feel that it's my bad code which is the main culprit in what's slowing things down on 68000. I mean, it's literally grinding to a halt with one enemy, but fine with none, and it all points to the background tile replacer which is likely over drawing or using too many loops.

It's not even the actual Blitting part which is slowing things down. I can turn that specific part of the replacing routine off and it's the same slow speed, so something in the logging of tile coordinates into the table is taking too long (or something). Unfortunately my inexperience means that I just don't know what to look for to improve things at the moment.

I'm quite happy to post the source code for folk to look at, which would be much appreciated. I'm not looking for anyone to do the work for me, but maybe a more seasoned eye can see something bad that's happening.

Also, please don't think I don't have extreme gratitude for the advice I'm being given by the experienced elders of the forum. I'm absolutely not dismissing the prospect of going to AGA, but I think it would leave me empty if I didn't explore every single avenue of getting it on to the OCS/ECS systems that I loved so much as a boy. Even if it ended in not being good enough, at least I'd know and be satisfied to move on.

I hope that makes sense, and it doesn't just seem like I'm being stubborn or ungrateful?

Page generated in 0.04297 seconds with 11 queries